[ltp] mplayer & sound

Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:16:41 +0100

> >What output plugin does XMMS use?
> /dev/dsp.  and work OK for root and common users.

Thats the device, not the plugin, but ok, it's obvious that you're using
the OSS plugin.

> >What's returned by ls -al /dev/dsp?
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     audio           9 Dec 24 20:15 /dev/dsp ->
> /dev/dsp0
> and also I added my user in audio users, see a line from a file /etc/group:
>      audio:x:29:someuser

Ok, what's the output of "ls -al /dev/dsp0" and "ls -al /dev/audio0"?

What permissions has xmms?

(Although i don't believe that's your problem.)

> >Did you try mplayer -ao nas <file_you_wanna_play>? (Works great for me.)

> This doesn't work, even like root. But I think that it is doesn't needed
> because 'nas' is
> transparent to the users. I define two variable in the file
> '.bash_profile':
>         AUDIOSERVER=tcp/localhost:8000
>         LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/audiooss/libaudiooss.so
> (obvious export theme from the file: export AUDIOSERVER LD_PRELOAD)
> and then use the /dev/dsp like always without take care any more about
> 'nas'.
>   You agree ??.

No. ;-)
You mentioned this several times now, but afaik your understanding of
this "transparency" is wrong. NAS is "network transparent to the user",
yes, but this means only that once your system is configured correctly
you can hear the sound that's given by nasd from any computer in your
network without bothering about on which computer you are at the moment.
Thats all, there's nothing more about it.

If you want to make applications use nas then they must be programmed
for using it. They must talk to nasd directly, not to some /dev/***.

So, if mplayer refuses to play with nas, then either it is built without
nas support or something about your audio server is wrong.

Give us the exact (error) output of mplayer (best both cases, trying to
use nas and not trying to use it).

And check the following:

"mplayer -ao help" should give a list of output plugins for mplayer,
look if there is a nas entry among them.

Check if nasd is running.

If nasd is running, check if you can play a wav file by using
"auplay <wav_file>" or try generating some noise with auwave.
If that doesn't work, you might try starting nasd with the -aa
parameter.

To make xmms use nas you'll need the xmms-nas output plugin from
ftp://ftp.stack.nl/pub/users/willem/xmms-nas-0.2.tar.gz .

Andre.