[ltp] TP600X RH7.2 serial port locations?

Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:11:13 +0100

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 08:46:38 -0500, Ross Patterson wrote:
> This is sure to be a dumb question.  I'm running Red Hat 7.2 on a
> ThinkPad 600X.  I've got a Handspring Visor Prism PDA with a serial
> cradle, and I want to sync it up to "stuff" on Linux.  I've got all
> the "stuff", but ...
>
> The only problem is that for the life of me I can't figure out what
> the proper device name ("/dev/something_or_other") is for the DB9
> serial connector on the back of the laptop!  Everything I find on the
> net tells me it's COM<something_or_other>, but that isn't much help
> (there are days when I wish Torvalds had gone with /dev/com1 et al.).
> On top of that, this machine has *never* run Windows, so typing
> PS2.EXE has no effect :-)
>
> Any ideas?

If Windows never touched this machine, I would say the serial port
(/dev/ttyS0) is turned off, and you need ps2.exe to turn it on. The
commands are ps2.exe ser on and ps2.exe sera enable. I think you can
look for a ready-to-run-ps2-floppy image in Google.

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG