[ltp] TP600X RH7.2 serial port locations?

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 09:19:05 -0500

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:46:38 -0500
Ross Patterson <Ross.Patterson@CatchFS.Com> wrote:

> The only problem is that for the life of me I can't figure out what the
> proper device name ("/dev/something_or_other") is for the DB9 serial
> connector on the back of the laptop!  Everything I find on the net tells
> me it's COM<something_or_other>, but that isn't much help (there are
> days when I wish Torvalds had gone with /dev/com1 et al.).  On top of
> that, this machine has *never* run Windows, so typing PS2.EXE has no
> effect :-)

By default, I believe it's /dev/ttyS0.  The problem (if you've tried that
device) might be that the serial port is disabled by default, while the IR
is enabled. You can enable the port using the tpctl utility each time you
boot, or go the simple route and enable the port permanently using (you
guessed it) PS2.EXE from a DOS boot floppy. :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  College Chemistry website: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/