[ltp] 390E long floppy seek time at boot

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 05:49:59 -0600

Hi everyone.

New to the list, not new to shoehorning Debian into Thinkpads, though.

I just bought a 390E (E0U) that is working well.  I have all the
hardware except USB and IRDA working, but I don't use those components
right now, so no big deal.

What does bug me is the long time the BIOS takes to decide the machine
isn't going to start off the floppy and then go check the hard drive.
The floppy doesn't appear to be running although the light is on and it
seems to take about 35 seconds from the time the drive seek completes
until the BIOS starts grub from the hard drive.  While it's not a major
issue, it is annoying!  Anyone have any ideas?

Also, when I do `shutdown -r now` my power switch seems inoperative
until the grub kernel selection screen appears.  If I want a quick
shutoff of the machine without waiting for the floppy to timeout (as
above), I must pull the AC and the battery!

The sound quality stinks, but outside of that, wonderful machine.

Thanks!

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and