[ltp] 390E long floppy seek time at boot

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:59:13 -0600

* Charles E Taylor IV <tomalek@mindspring.com> [2003 Feb 10 16:22 -0600]:

> Can you change the boot sequence (in easy setup, hold F1 while turning the
> machine on) so that the machine isn't trying to boot off the floppy or
> CD-ROM?  That might speed up your boot process a bit.

I tried that when I first got the machine, and reset the seek order to
HDD first and FDD second.  Now I set it to HDD, CDROM, then FDD and even
if FDD is disabled the time lag persists.

In fairness to the FDISK /MBR post earlier, I just tried booting with
the combo drive out of the machine and the time lag was still there.  So
perhaps it is a hard disk problem.

> What sound driver are you using?

ALSA 0.9.0rc6 built from source out of Debian Testing.  By sound
quality, I meant that our of the laptops tiny speakers which lack much
midrange and practically all bass.  Plugging in an outboard set of
speakers produced the expected sound quality.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and