[ltp] 390E long floppy seek time at boot

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:41:31 -0600

* Nate Bargmann <n0nb@networksplus.net> [2003 Feb 10 16:50 -0600]:
> * Rob Smith <r_a_smith3530@sbcglobal.net> [2003 Feb 10 16:22 -0600]:
> > FDISK /MBR?
> >
> > Rob Smith
>
> ???
>
> In all my years of dealing with PCs, I'm not sure how that will help
> when it's the floppy LED that is on for 35 Sec.  The HDD is fine, near
> as I can tell.
>
> Please enlighten me!

One should not have to reply to one's previous inane remarks.

That didn't fix it directly.  In fact trying to run FDISK from A:
resulted in a drive not ready error.  So, trusty Linux to the rescue.
mkdosfs was able to format the /dev/hda1 partition (hda2 is swap and
hda3 is Linux).  Then the reboot time was reduced remarkably and the HDD
was no longer searching on boot.  I was able to do FORMAT C: and SYS C:
from the PC-DOS boot floppy and all seems to be working well.

Thanks for the clue.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and