[ltp] A21p power supply question

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:52:19 -0500

Well, to the best of MY knowledge, and I've handled a lot of different models
of machines over the years most thinkpads have essentially the same external
PS, all that varies is its output rating, so for instance the PS for my old
380ED and my A20p have the same connectors and the same voltages, just the
380 took less juice. So you might kill the 380's power brick by trying to run
an A20 with it, but it probably wouldn't be an immediate kind of thing, it
would just get hot and burn up after a while trying to supply the extra
amperage.

To be even more specific I am pretty sure that the I and A series machines all
use the identical same supply with the exact same output rating. I know that
my A20p and one of the more recent I-series machines (one from the last 3-4
years, I forget the exact model) were the same brick. I have seen the bricks
for A30's and they also looked identical (but I didn't actually check it
out).

I also cannot see how damage to the power brick would cause only a failure to
charge the battery. I guess its possible, but those bricks are nothing but a
transformer and a DC power supply. Not much can really go wrong, and the only
damage you can really do to them is to overload one. I'd get a voltage meter
and make sure the brick outputs the specified voltage and that it doesn't get
exessively hot, then I'd try running the machine off another brick with the
same ratings and see if your battery charges. I'm betting the battery itself
is just bad. If its more than a couple years old it could have gone belly up.
Lithium Ion batteries tend to die suddenly with little or no warning. The
usual scenario is the battery capacity gradually decays from its new
condition to 50-70% of that and then one day it just doesn't work AT ALL
anymore. I had one fail the other day and it went from working perfectly to
dead as a doornail in 1 second flat.

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain