[ltp] Can't mount CF card in PC Slot - need device name?

Christian Zoz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:18:15 +0100

On Fri, Feb 07, H Hound wrote:
> I have a ThinkPad 770E with SuSE linux 8.1 loaded.  When I insert a Sandisk
> 128Meg CF card in the PCMCIA slot, I can do a cardctl status, and ident and
> see it correctly identified as an ATA/IDE device; I can also see in the
> logs that there is a 3.3v memory device in slot 0 in the logs.  But I see
> no reference to a device number that I can mount.  I have looked in both
> /var/log/messages, and /var/lib/pcmcia/stab for a clue as to what it might
> be named, and don't see any.  I do see my CDROM, and hda1 thru 6 (my
> primary harddrive partitions), and when I insert it, my ethernet card eth0.
> So how can I figure out what my compact flash device number is?  Is there
> someplace else I need to look? Do I need to configure something to get the
> system to recognize the CF card?
>
> Help appreciated.

I assume you are using 'kernel pcmcia' (Have a look at
/etc/sysconfig/pcmcia: PCMCIA_SYSTEM=).

The i assume that neither the module ide_cs nor ide-cs is loaded.
(Check with 'lsmod')

There are 2 possible ways to go:

1) Switch to 'external pcmcia'

Or

2) Replace in /etc/pcmcia/config all 'ide_cs' by 'ide-cs'. (After that
it will work with 'kernel pcmcia' but no longer with 'external'

Info about kernel/external PCMCIA is in
/usr/share/doc/packages/pcmcia/README.SuSE

Have a look at the admin guide as well. There is a pcmcia seection in
the laptop chapter.

--

ciao, christian

    Verglichen mit jedem x-beliebigen Redmonder Betriebssystem-Clone
    ist Linux geradezu eine leuchtende Perle der Datensicherheit.
  ------ Frank Rennemann (http://www.linux-knowledge-portal.org) -----