[ltp] Installing linux, fear of lm_sensors

Philip Edelbrock linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 13:10:10 -0800

FYI- The chip used in the particular laptops had a faulty state machine
for interpreting I2C bus commands.  Under certain circumstances, the
chip would interpret commands meant for other chips as a command for
it's self to write data to it's memory.  IBM doesn't use the chip any
more (the AT24RF08, if I remember correctly), but it's still a problem
with old hardware. :'(

Newer distros should begin to carry newer versions of lm-sensors which
detects for potentially vulnerable IBM hardware and disable it's self.

Phil