[ltp] A30P Questions

Matthias Posseldt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 18:24:38 +0100

On Monday 06 January 2003 16:49, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> Hi All
>
> First, thanks for all the help a number of very nice people on this list
> have provided.
>
> As one may imagine from the continuation of the post there are several
> issues with the Thinkpad A30P that are troubling.

I too have a A30p and have only one or two minor problems. One is that the
modem is not working (just cosmetic, since I don't use it), and the second
is that the sound output is disabled after awaking from suspend (lid
closed). I have to move both PCM and Master, or disable/enable it or
reload ALSA mixer settings.

> First on boot approximately 50% of the time X is not starting. Some
> times X will initiate if one does a <Ctl><Atl><Bk Space> or <Del> other
> times it requires a requires one or more reboots.

Which drivers and X version do you use? What's the exact settings. Are you
using the framebuffer device on boot or DRI?

> Second I am using Kppp under Kppp to log on to the internet. If Kppp is
> initiated and the computer is lodged on to line then all activity on the
> desktop ceases to function until Kppp is terminated. That means that if
> one clicks on a desktop icon that the icon will not initiate a program.

Do you have "Auto-configure hostname" enabled in KPPP? Then please disable
it in the account settings tab.

> Also as part of this I am using Kmail as the mail program. Due to a
> major screwup several years ago I wound up with 6 e-mail accounts most
> of which I can not stop using due to other people having one or the
> other but not all email address. Point is that Kmail after opening will
> not check mail in but one (1) account and will disavow the existence of
> the other 5 accounts. This appears to be another symptom of the desktop
> problem.

Do you enabled the "Exclude from mail check" option in the mail accounts
settings? Then please disable it.

> Hopefull someone will have knowledge of what these problems intail or
> what one needs to check to correct the issue.

Hope that helps a bit.

Ciao, Matthias

--
"If liberty means anything at all,