[ltp] a newbie struggling with LILO

lizl linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 18:17:08 +0800

=D4=DA =D0=C7=C6=DA=C8=FD 08 =D2=BB=D4=C2 2003 17:30=A3=ACHerbert Szumovski=
 =D0=B4=B5=C0=A3=BA

> However,
> I still would strongly recommend to use Grub instead of LILO.
> Not only you would not have had this problem, it's a lot more
> flexible, and you only need to install it once, not every time
> when you compile a new kernel. It also allows you to boot
> manually or do other correction tasks in a small shell,
> if you have some mistake in the configuration file, or messed
> up your partition table. Because of all it's advantages most
> major distributions use it already in their latest versions.
> /Herbert
>
> At 01:03 08.01.2003, Katsumi Matsumoto wrote:
> >Thank you all for the suggestions.
> >
> >I was able to boot linux from the RH installation CD in resuce mode.  The
> >problem appeared to be the parameter "linear" in lilo.conf.  Typing 'lil=
o'
> >gave me an error message about "device 0x0306" exceeding "1024 cylinder

it sames that you use /dev/hda6 to install you linux
but , the option linear only function to some scsi disks
you should try using lba or lab32 instead.

however, to use grub is another good ideal. but it is more complexed to=20
explain how to use it.
you may try info grub to find all the infomations.

good luck=20

> >limit".  While I did not understand this (will investigate), I changed
> >"linear" to "lba32" following the suggestion that accompanied the error
> >message, and I was able to install LILO successfully.  I now have a dual
> >boot.
> >
> >For the record, someone suggested that perhaps I "recovered" Windows AFT=
ER