[ltp] Xandros does not recognise external serial modem

Alex Bell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:03:50 +1100

I have a Thinkpad A21e which has a winmodem which does not have a Linux driver. I bought an
external serial modem known to work with Linux, and have it working under Windows 2000 - but
only after I disabled the winmodem through Windows. Windows says the external modem is on
com1, IRQ 04, and port 0x038.

But Xandros does not recognise the modem. There is no entry for it in /etc/devices/devices.inf,
though there is for the winmodem. The First Run program does not find the modem, and insists
there is no port for a modem.

I was able to establish internet connection using a borrowed PCMCIA modem card. Because the
port replicator I use does not have a PCMCIA slot I would very much prefer to use the Dynalink
external serial modem.

Can anyone help?

Regards, Alex
http://www.onlink.net/~outreach/