[ltp] 770Z And Xircom PCMCIA NIC Problem

John Tilp linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 06:38:05 +0000

Jim Harvey wrote:
> <snip>
> I have had trouble with some distros that for whatever reason
> started the pcmcia stuff up after the network and the network never
> recognizes the card.  The solution was to rearrange the files in
> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d so the pcmcia initializes long before the network.
> Try the following two commands (as root):
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

This did not work for me. Running 'pcmcia restart' started eth0.
Running 'network restart' then stopped it.

> The only other thing I can think of is your card is being forced to
> 10 megs and the other end is 100 megs.  There is some kind of
> hardware protocol to negotiate the rate, maybe it's failing.

The switch I'm using autodetects the speed. I have an older notebook
that runs at 10 Mbps while other adapters run at 100 and they all
talk to each other without a problem.

I borrowed a D-Link DFE-650 card, plugged it into the ThinkPad, and
it worked immediately. Searching the archives of several lists, it
seems that people with this Xircom card fall into two groups: it
works and always has, or it doesn't work and they haven't found (or
shared) a solution.

I'd like to get to the bottom of it but that W.C.Fields quote "If
at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no
point in being a damn fool about it." keeps coming to mind.