[ltp] Screen Blinking on Startup on A30P

Frank Roberts - SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 20:20:19 -0500

Hi All

There are issues with my box that may be representative of general issues or
may be particular to one computer. From past posts I believe that this issue
is in the former category not the latter. The one thing I am certain of is
that I do not have the ability or desire to resolve it. So why the posts.
Simply I observed something that if correct could give the developers a clue
in to the resolution of the issue.

My system is a Thinkpad A30P with Mandrake 9.0 and XF86 4.x with out 3 D
animation using KDE. It has 2 GUI windows - users (root and trunk).

Anyway this is what happened:
1. Shuting down the system from trunk I did not close close all programs that
were open. In particular I left open Kmail and Kppp. The system was shutdown
by clicking on the K icon, logout and then shutdown.

After some period of time the system was started. All the way through startup
the screen flicker was so bad that reading the screen was problamatic.

The system was then started and logged in as root and  immediately after login
terminated logged out. Fifty percent of screen flicker abated.

The system was then started and logged in as trunk. Trunk did not complete its
start up sequence stopping at approximately the 99% complete point. The K
icon did appear and activate. Log out with out opening any programs was
immediately undertaken returning the screen back to the login screen. All
flicker stopped. Trunk was then logged in and the system is working correctly
from a screen appearance prospective.

2. Logged into KDE as trunk and performing certain exercises I decided to
login in root to perform additional functions under a root command line menu.
<Alt><Ctrl>F1 login as root gives root command line. Issue began when I
decided to switch back to the KDE GUI. <Alt><Ctrl>F7 and screen goes black
with back light on. Eventual resolution of this problem was resolved by
<Alt><Ctrl>Backspace causing loss of KDE screen and root screen.

I hope this helps the developers resolve this issue with the A30P by giving
them useful information.

I do know I do not have this issue with my desktop running Mandrake 9.0 and
ADC monitor and a gForce video card with an MCI system board and K7
processor.

Thanks
Frank