[ltp] USB memory pen

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 18:35:06 -0500

Yes, under Mandrake 9.0 my Sony camera, model DSC-P1, for instance simply
shows up "automagically" at /mnt/camera. It is actually device /dev/sda. So
for normal access I can just make a link on my desktop to /mnt/camera and
when I attach the camera I can browse there and find all my pictures. What
the camera actually does is format the memory stick with a fat32 file system,
and I guess one single primary partition, thus its /dev/sda1. I would assume
I could use mkfs to create other filesystems on the stick and also muck with
its partition table with fdisk (but the camera itself would not obviously
know how to store data on the stick this way when it was operating as a
camera).

I THINK it would be simple to boot off this as well if it was attached when I
brought up my system I could have a grub entry to boot off /dev/sda1 and if
it was a bootable filesystem I see no reason why the machine couldn't boot
off it...

I guess the question is at what point can you actually access USB Storage
devices? Maybe someone else can answer this as I haven't researched it much
myself yet. That is to say would grub need some sort of 'built-in' USB
support? Or is USB Storage supported in the BIOS? Anyway, it is worth an
experiment, and I'm sure if you cannot do it today, you will be able to
tommorrow, and most certainly you could do it via a boot from floppy with the
properly configured boot floppy.

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain