[ltp] dual-boot with RedHat-8.0

Tue, 1 Jul 2003 08:46:05 +0200

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 13:47:49 +0800, Greg Matheson wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Richard Griffith wrote:

[...]

> Then I was able to install Linux without problem. Before doing that however
> I tried the IBM recovery program on the other partition to reinstall
> Windows. I expected it to return the computer to ex-factory state. That is,
> to give the Windows partition back all the free space that fips had taken away.
> Interestinly enough, it didn't. Which was ideal for me.
>
> I can imagine, however, someone who wanted to use the recovery program
> to get rid of a Linux partition wouldn't have been very happy!!

The recovery program is vendor specific, so it's behaviour is vendor
specific, too. Some recovery CDs are so stupid that they wipe out all
partitions an restore Windows but keep the LILO MBR. This way you get a
machine that can not even boot.

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG