[ltp] Linux (Red Hat 9.0) on T40p (2373-G1G to be exact)

Frank Schaeckermann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:01:07 +0200

Steve,
I have no way of putting the image on the net somewhere - yet. But I'll
send it to you via e-mail. What I did was to create a partition by hand
giving it the type 'a0' (IBM Thinkpad Hibernation Partition) BEFORE I
booted the CD-ROM. Then a menu came up with choices like

1. Create New Hibernation Partition
2. Re-Initialize Existing Hibernation Partition
3. Reboot

and I chose 2. After a few minutes (My partition is pretty big since I
have 1.5GB of memory and 64MB Video RAM in the machine) the menu came
back and I chose 3 (after removing the CD *wink*). Linux booted without
problems and now Fn-F12 works like a charm! I am using APM so - see my
kernel-config file posted before. Apparently ACPI is not up to the job
yet. Also I figured, that the machine's BIOS will still now best how to
send it into hibernation...

The bootable CD-image is on it's way. By the way - I am using a
re-writable CD to create bootable images *grin* That way I can fool
around until I got it right without wasting loads of media... even
though with ISOLINUX and MEMDISK it worked pretty well and without too
many tries.