[ltp] ALSA always turns my microphone on...

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 02:32:52 +0100

Dear Steve,

You want to check out alsactl store and restore. (man alsactl)
Basically, when you change sound settings, they end up in registers on
the sound card, but are not saved to file except when alsa is properly
(sucessfully!) stopped. This can sometimes cause:
1)your sound settings never "take" properly - but always revert to old
values OR
2)Sound is always initialised to zero.

The normal file is /etc/asound.state, but you might want to keep another
copy which isn't autosaved over (eg 'alsactl store -f ~/asound.state')

As for mixers, alsamixer/alsamixergui are much nicer than kmix - and
they also give you a little more control.

Hope that helps

Richard

--
rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk  **  http://www.richardneill.org
Richard Neill, Trinity College, Cambridge, CB21TQ, U.K.