[ltp] TP A21p: Display issues with RH 9.0 and X

Crawford Rainwater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:03:16 -0500

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced these
issues with RedHat 9.0 and Gnome/KDE (via gdm here),
and found a work around and/or solution.

The laptop being used is a ThinkPad A21p, model 2629-HTU.
Has the ATI Rage 128 Mobility, and installed Gnome/KDE with
the default resolution at 1600x1200.  However, in order
to do presentations via LCD, I need 1024x768 or 800x600.
When in Gnome (similar in KDE of course) I change the
display to a lower res setting, I have X crash completely
and have to use the backup XF86Config to get things going
again.  The display is set to the Generic Laptop 1600x1200 here
since I am not having any luck with finding anything
close here for a monitor.

I have tired commenting out other modes in XF86Config,
no success there either.

Anyone else come across this issue?  For reference,
Debian with Enlightenment will swap back and forth
between different resolutions on the fly, no issues
(hence, this is possible), nor X crashing as well.
Will be installing Gnome and KDE on Debian sometime
in the next few days to see if I can create the same
problem as well there (i.e., is this a RH specific
problem or not) as well for further testing and problem
determination/resolution here.

Also, there is one of the RHCX working on this as well
with a ThinkPad T30 (unknown model number), same ATI
chipset as well allegedly.  Ran it across him (his installation
though was at 1024x768 initially), and he gets the same
problems.

TIA.

--- Crawford