[ltp] TP A21p: Display issues with RH 9.0 and X

Tim Turkington linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:21:26 -0400 (EDT)

I am running RH 9.0 on an A22p with the ATI Rage 128 Mobility.

I am able change the screen matrix size from 1600x1200
down to 1280x1024, 1024x768, and 800x600 using either
'crtl-alt-minus' or xrandr while gnome is running.
(I had to use the hor. and vert. refresh ranges that Richard Neill
suggested recently to even get X to allow anything than 1600x1200.)

I have not gotten any crashes, but I do find it better, for
other reasons, to start the session at the desired resolution,
using an alternate XF86Config file, than to change after starting.
Some clients just don't know how to respond when the screen size changes.

I did install the GATOS ATI drivers after I installed RH 9.0.
They helped with some other issues, and may help with this.

> display to a lower res setting, I have X crash completely
> and have to use the backup XF86Config to get things going

It's not clear to me what you mean here.  Does you main
XF86Config somehow get messed up in this process, requiring
you to use a backup?  That would be very strange.

> Anyone else come across this issue?  For reference,
> Debian with Enlightenment will swap back and forth
> between different resolutions on the fly, no issues

What method are you using to change on the fly?

Tim Turkington