[ltp] R40 APM Standby and Power-Off not working

Georg Sauthoff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 21:53:58 +0200

Hi,

after having serious problems to get ACPI work on my 2722-3gg R40 Thinkpad I
went back to APM.

The Suspend is working fine, apmd is running, if I close the notebook, it
supended very fast and returning is no problem as well.

But I have problems with standby. If I don't genrate user input for approx. 5
minutes, it seems that the laptop goes to standby. And then I can't return to
normal operation. I.e. input to keyboard make no effect.

Another thing is, that the power-off does not work. After shutting down all
processes, unmounting and so on, the screen goes black, but the notebook is
still running (looks like standby).

Perhaps someone has an idea?

I am using vanilla 2.4.21-rc5 kernel and have apm support build in, like this:
[ ]     Ignore USER SUSPEND
[ ]     Enable PM at boot time
[*]     Make CPU Idle calls when idle
[*]     Enable console blanking using APM
[*]     RTC stores time in GMT
[*]     Allow interrupts during APM BIOS calls
[*]     Use real mode APM BIOS call to power off

BTW I thought to work around the problem, I could turn off standby in the
system bios - but I found no option there. Is there perhaps another way to
disable apm standby?

TIA
Regards
Georg Sauthoff