[ltp] Re: Mandrake 9.1 redhat-sndconfig bug

David R. Griffiths linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:07:20 +1000

> From: brianweber4@attbi.com

> > | I also upgrade the Pentium II 233 processor to a PII 400.
> > | Processor. This upgrade is also not an option with the
> > | Thinkpad 380Z per IBM, but also works fine!
> > |
> > | Here is an ebay posting for a similar Thinkpad usable processor:
> > |
> > | http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2079749147

Unfortunately the ebay page has expired.  What did you search for?
Does it take just a garden variety p2 400 cpu?

I looked around the web for upgrades to the motherboard of the 380z but
couldn't turn up anything.  I bought it some more ram, cost me
Australian $120 for 64mb which is fairly costly.  Unfortunately it is
at its limit of 96mb.  I find that this works ok if I use icewm, it
also works with gnome2 and kde3 but starts using the swap which I am
not keen on.

On another matter what would you say the 32mb I removed is worth?

> > | The CS4237B sound chip works well also using the setup below:
> > |
> > | 1) Disable Plug N Play function in Thinkpad BIOS by
> > | shutting off quick boot option.

Curiously the disabling of quickboot caused my RH 7.2 installation
which has sound working, to begin doing what it was in Mandrake 9.1
making a staccato noise.

> > | 2) Run sndconfig in superuser terminal using these
> > | CS423X values:
> > |
> > | io=530, irq= 5, dma=1, dma2=3, mpu io=330, mpu irq=9.

I have been using dma2=0

> > | 3) Log on as root, in file:/etc/pcmcia/config.opts edit
> > | as a comment by placing # in frount of line:
> > |
> > | include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff

Will my Xircom network card still work?  I had a look at this file and
its the only port listed.

Finally are there any tips on batteries, I found
Thomas Hood's  Debian GNU/Linux on IBM ThinkPad 600 and 600X web page:

"Consensus has it that ThinkPad Li-ion batteries will die an early
death if they are left in the ThinkPad while they are 100% charged.
Here is an excerpt from the linux-thinkpad mailing list on the
subject."

Does using the thinkpad on ac overcharge the battery and wreck it?
When I got it it had a dead battery so I got that swapped.  I am
currently running it on battery to flatten them and train them as per
the manual.

David.