[ltp] display, cursor, keyboard hang, T40, RH9

Glyn Kennington linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:28:04 +0100

otisg wrote:
> I noticed that my xterm (gnome-terminal) likes to freeze/hang
> sometimes.
> The symptoms are that my cursor disapears for a few seconds, and
> my keyboard become completely unresponsive for a few seconds.

Do you mean that just that xterm freezes, or the whole machine?  Can you
still do things in other xterms?

If other programs still respond, then it's a problem with the specific
program in that xterm.

If the whole machine has paused, the most likely explanation is that the
hard disk has spun down to conserve power, and the program you've just
started needs to access the disk, so the kernel halts everything when
waiting for it to spin up again.  In this case, you may want to play around
with the spindown timeout of your HD by using `hdparm'.

Glyn

--
I can't control my fingers, I can't control my brain.