[ltp] ibm recovery program with multiple partitions

René Bastian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:05:56 +0200

Le Mercredi 11 Juin 2003 16:14, Rudy Gevaert a écrit :

> > and ~ 4 Gig for the recovery ?
>
> Yep

> > I tkink the partition for win-xp should be greater.
>
> Isn't 3Gig enough?  I do not know how much it needs.  I'm been running
> GNU/Linux alone for the last 3 years, and my only knowledge is
> Windows98.
>
> I'm leaving WindowsXP on it because I'll need it for some school work
> next year.
>
> > > I doubt this will work.
> > > the recovery feature works by having the recovery data hidden somewhere
> > > on the harddisk. You may already have overwritten parts of it. At least
> > > in my case I had to disable the recovery after resizeing to e able to
> > > boot. Even if recovery still works it will _wipe out_ everything and
> > > restore the _entire_ harddisk to its original state - your linux
> > > partitions would be gone, as far as I know.
>
> I still have the recovery partition and I have the recovery cd's.
>
> > in my case (R40) :
> > no, not the entire harddisk, but only the partition which contains
> > the mbr (/dev/hda1) - I reinstalled lilo after the win-xp "revolution"
>
> So my plan should work...?

Hm, it is possible that it will work, but  "no warranty" !

PS : I made a partition for my /home and and a partition for /texts

--
René Bastian
http://www.musiques-rb.org : Musique en Python