[ltp] T40: installation report

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:35:28 -0400

2 things... First, Fabrice, how did you patch memtest?  I'm also having
strange problems and I'd like to run memtest on it.  Especially trying
it on individual modules now.  Do you have a link, or could you send me
a patch?  Thanks.

Secondly, regarding wireless.  Do NOT get a prism based card, as there
is nothing prism based that the BIOS will accept.  I just sent an email
to Ted requestign he remove that line from his page, as I'd rather not
have mroe people wasting money on a card that won't work.  I got the
prism card for the T30, and the BIOS Lock out won't let it work.  The
three authorized cards are the only cards that will work.  I'm going to
test my theory tonight, but I don't even think that another intel 2100
card will work if it's not the IBM branded one.  The IBM model has a
unique FCC ID, and the FCC database refers to the only difference being
the presence of the BIOS Lock out feature on the IBM model.
Unfortunately details about the BIOS Lock out are confidential and not
available in the FCC database.  The only card worth having right now is
the Cisco card from IBM.  According to Ted, it works well with the cisco
driver, and hopefully soon it will be supported by the aironet driver.
6 weeks ago Benjamin Reed made a checking to CVS saying receive was
workign and Transmit was almost there.

Here's the email I sent to Ted and Klaus regarding my findings about
wireless.  Many of you may find it itneresting.

Joel

Klaus and Ted,

I've been doing some research on wireless on the T40, and since both of
you have pages on the T40, I thought I'd let you know what I've learned.
  The wireless card that came in my T40 (2373-92U), as well as both of
yours, is IBM labelled, manufactured by Philips, and uses a Atheros 5211
chip.  Atheros is being very stingy about details with this device, but
some development on atheros chips has been done.  Maybe the philips card
will be supported someday soon.  What is available is maintained here:

http://team.vantronix.net/ar5k/

The other two options are an intel pro/wireless 2100 and a cisco 350.
The intel card is the centrino wireless card which really has no support
at the moment.  Apparently intel is guaging internally the value of
devolping a linux driver or making the info available to do it.  Perhaps
someday this card will have a driver, but not yet.  I noticed in the FCC
database that the card uses a symbol chip on it, so I'm curious about
the similarity between it and the current symbol based cards, or if it
would be possible to modify the crrent driver to work with it.  Probably
intel has provided their own firmware, or the symbol chip is completely
different, and thus no current driver would come close to working.

The Cisco card, which Ted has and is familiar with, is similar to the
well supported cisco PCI and PCMCIA cards, however, the current aironet
driver doesn't support it.  Cisco provides linux drivers, but you must
use their own interface to control it.  The drivers are GPLed, and
Benjamin Reed stated in the mailing list that he was working on
including it, but that was in January, and he said he was short on time
to work on it.  6 weeks ago he made a CVS commit that receive was
working and transmit is almost there.  Currently though, it seems to be
only supported by cisco's own drivers and configuration tools.

IBM has done a few unfortunate things with the T40, and most other
thinkpads for that matter.  First of all, they have a BIOS lock out
preventing any unauthorized wireless cards from working at all.  They
say this is for FCC regulations, but there are laptops that have no such
restriction, so it can't be required by the FCC.  Unfortunately I
learned about this after I purchased a T30 prism based wireless card. So
Ted, you may want to remove the note about getting a prism based card.
It won't work.  There are some actions being taken against IBM to allow
other cards to work, including Alan Cox mentioning that The Register may
be interested in the story, but I doubt anything useful will come of it.
  You can read the conversation in the Linux-Kernel mailing list.
Lincoln Durey of Emperor Linux began the thread on June 3

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0306.0/0637.html

Secondly, the T40's that come with the philips card use special screws
they call TR7 that are like a torx with a pin in the middle, to prevent
it being removed.  I'm sure you've both seen them.  The intel and cisco
cards don't have this issue.  The right sized flathead screw driver can
get around this, but it is strange that IBM didn't want us fiddling with
only the Philips card.

You are welcome to include any of this information on your pages if you
wish.  And if you like, I can update you if I learn any new information.

Joel Ebel
NC State University,
jbebel@ncsu.edu
http://www.ncsu.edu/resnet/runt