[ltp] Re: IDE-Hotplugging

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
17 Jun 2003 12:52:47 -0500

+---------- On Jun 16, Daniel Pittman said:
>  ...because Linux does not support hot-plug IDE devices, which are what
> the Ultrabay devices are. Once the driver supports it, you can go for
> your life. It's only a simple matter of programming.[1]

There's more to it than that. On my A30p at least, the firmware will
only allow warm-swap (machine sleeping), not hot-swap, and it only
allows warm-swap when using ACPI. (I can't even warm-remove an Ultrabay
battery without the machine complaining.) Linux support for ACPI has a
long way to go. Maybe it's better in the 2.5 kernels.