[ltp] Hardware -- 390E trackpoint just went south

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:09:29 -0500

Hi All.

Not really a Linux question per se, but I used my 390E to do a bit of
picture editing in the Gimp and now the Trackpoint seems to have failed.
The symptom is that the pointer is jumping all over the place and isn't
controllable.

The laptop had been on continuously for several days and no software
upgrades had been done.  No liquid has been spilled on the keyboard and
after popping off the surrounding keytops, I can find no visible reason
for the failure.

The first sign of a problem was that the cursor was drifting to the
right, so I bumped the stick left and then it just went nuts!  After
that I restarted since I am using gpm in repeater mode for X.  I
disabled gpm and edited my XF86Config-4 for direct hardware control and
restarted again.  The jumping around continues, so I assume a hardware
failure has occured.

Does anyone have any experience with this model?  Is the Trackpoint
seperate from the keyboard, or will I need to buy a completely new
keyboard?  I guess the next question is, how do I remove the keyboard?

Thanks,

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and