[ltp] Serial port

Richard Jenniss linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:12:59 -0600

Hi there, I'm trying to get my serial ports to work on my IBM Thinkpad 380D.
I'm new to this list.

I have made my node running this command
	mknod --mode=664 /dev/thinkpad/thinkpad c 10 170

I see this in the tpctl README

   alias /dev/thinkpad/thinkpad thinkpad
   alias /dev/thinkpad/smapi smapi
   alias /dev/thinkpad/superio superio
   alias /dev/thinkpad/rtcmosram rtcmosram
   alias /dev/thinkpad/thinkpadpm thinkpadpm

I have not created devices: smapi, superio, rtcmosram, and thinkpadpm in /dev/thinkpad/ directory.
I set up devfs and noticed those devices are not their either.

I have a problem modprobing thinkpadpm

I think my problem is my serial or superio chip? is not being turned on? I have to enable power management?

Why serial?
I console into devices such as, Routers, switches, etc.

I have serial support in my kernel for a standard
CONFIG_SERIAL=y

# cat lsmodoutput
floppy                 48476   2  (autoclean)
serial                 44740   0  (unused)
superio                 5912   0  (autoclean)
rtcmosram               1860   0  (autoclean)
smapi                   2756   0  (autoclean)
thinkpad                2468   0  (autoclean) [superio rtcmosram smapi]
pcnet_cs               12512   0  (unused)
ds                      6792   2  [pcnet_cs]
i82365                 33408   2
pcmcia_core            38048   0  [pcnet_cs ds i82365]

I have pcmcia card services installed, and that works fine.

I have ThinkPad configuration tools installed, and it works.

Here is my tpctl output. I'm not sure if you can help, but I greatly appreciate any hints or tips.
I have my modules.conf set correctly, and lsmod shows all modules are loaded.

information about bios and system:
   system ID:                           37
   country code:                        1
   system BIOS revision:                0.35
   system management BIOS revision:     1.18
   SMAPI BIOS interface revision:       0.88
   video BIOS revision:                 1.32
   slave controller revision:           1.11
info from cmos RAM:
   CMOS RAM has power?:                 Y
   CMOS RAM has lost power?:            N
   CMOS RAM has bad checksum?:          N
   CMOS RAM has bad equipment info?:    N
   CMOS RAM has bad mem size info?:     N
   CMOS RAM has bad time info?:         N
   hard disk failed initialization?:    N
   shutdown status:                     0x0
   display operating mode:              0x0 (reserved code)
   coprocessor present?:                Y
   diskette drive type:                 4 (i.e., 1.44 MB)
   number of diskette drives:           1
   diskette drive 0 present?:           Y
   hard disk drive 0 type:              0xf
   hard disk drive 1 type:              0x0 (i.e., not present)
   hard disk drive 2 type:              0x0 (i.e., not present)
   hard disk drive 3 type:              0x0 (i.e., not present)
   conventional memory below 640KB:     640 KB
   expansion memory above 1MB:          65535 KB
   usable contiguous memory:            65535 KB
information about display:
   panel type:                          2 (i.e, color STN LCD)
   panel dimension:                     1 (i.e., 800 x 600)
   monitor type:                        0 (i.e., no CRT attached)
   monitor has DDC1 capability?:        N
   monitor has DDC2 capability?:        N
information about docking station:
   docking station ID:                  (not docked)
   security key unlocked?:              -
   bus connected?:                      -
information about processor:
   CPU manufacturer:                    Intel
   microprocessor type:                 5
   microprocessor stepping level:       44
   CPU clock:                           60 MHz
   internal clock:                      150 MHz
is:
   the lid closed?:                     N
   the keyboard open?:                  N
   the AC adapter attached?:            Y
information about UltraBay II:
   device type:                         0x10 (i.e., IDE)
   device ID:                           0x10 (i.e., CD-ROM)
setup of display:                       CMOS          current
   internal display enabled?:           enable        enable
   crt display:                         disable       disable
   tv display:                          disable       disable
   2ual display:                        enable        enable
   TV display selected?:                N             N
   monitor detection ignored?:          N             N
setup of fn hotkey:
   sticky Fn key supported?:                          Y
   sticky & locked Fn key supported?:                 Y
   fn hotkey state:                                   nonsticky
setup of pointing device:               CMOS          current
   internal pointing device
      controllable state?:              Y             Y
      auto control supported?:          N             N
      activation mode:                  enable        enable
   external pointing device
      controllable state?:              N             N
      activation mode:                  disable       disable
setup of:                               CMOS
   daylight saving time:                disable
power management modes:
   ac power expenditure:                              manual
   battery power expenditure:                         auto
   RediSafe global mode overrides non-global mode?:   Y
   RediSafe globally enabled?:                        N
power management resume events:         capability    current
   appointment-r.t.clock-initiated?:    Y             N (centennially 98-12-07 03:21:00)
   hardware-initiated?:                 Y             Y
   lid-opening-initiated?:              Y             Y
   serial-RI-initiated?:                Y             Y
power management sedative events:       capability    current
                                       (SZRHO)       (SZRHO)
   hardware-or-software-initiated:      SZ-HO         SZ-HO
   power-switch-initiated:              ---HO         ----O
   lid-closure-initiated:               -Z---         -----
   Standby-timer-initiated:             S----         S----
   Zuspend-or-hibern.-timer-initiated:  -Z-H-         -Z---
   Hibernate-from-susp.-timer-init'd:   ---H-         ---H-
   battery-low-initiated:               -Z-H-         -Z---
   env'mt-exhausted-initiated:          -Z---         -Z---
power management timer modes:           capability    current
   Standby timer:                       Y             Y
   Zuspend-or-hibernation timer:        Y             Y
   Blank-internal-display timer:        Y             Y
   drive power-down timer:              Y             Y
power management delay of Hibernate-from-suspend:     0 (i.e., disabled)
power management delays of Zuspend or hibernate:      current
            (specifiable in each power mode)?
   ac power "manual" expenditure mode:  Y             0 (i.e., disabled)
   battery "manual" expenditure mode:   Y             5 minutes
   "high" power expenditure mode:       Y             60 minutes
   "auto" power expenditure mode:       Y             15 minutes
resource state:                        ioaddr irq#   able? mode/power
   floppy controller:                   0x3f0 IRQ6  enable
   parallel port:                       0x378 IRQ7  enable EPP-1.7
   serial port 1:                       0x0   IRQ0 disable
   serial port 2:                       0x0   IRQ0 disable