[ltp] radeon OpenGL

Valient Gough linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
24 Jun 2003 11:40:15 -0700

--=-94GQ7dNXeJBHZLEh6XRN

The jitter is just like what I described a week or so ago on this list.
For me it only happened when it was warm inside and I made the graphics
card really work (like using hardware accelerted 3D).  But if the system
had warmed up enough, I also saw it when just moving windows around or
anytime there were screen redraws happening.

I saw it mostly in 24bpp mode, and rairely in 16bpp mode with XFree
4.3.  I figured it was an overheating problem, and when I stop being
lazy I will contact IBM about it.

The workarounds I found were:
1. reduce ambient temperatures
2. use 16bpp instead of 24bpp
3. try using other methods of reducing graphics workload (AGP 1 instead
of AGP 2, no AGP, etc)
4. use another X server

I ended up buying a license for AcceleratedX for laptops, which gets
great performance and yet seems to run the graphics card at a much lower
temperature (no accident - they claim to have good power management for
the graphics card).  The other day it was nearly 90 degrees in here
(lack of air conditioning is common in the northwest because it is
rairely needed) and I saw the jitter playing FooBilliards (full screen
3d pool game) under AcceleratedX - the first time since switching X
servers.  So I refrained from using OpenGL that day and it didn't happen
again..

Since there seems to be a perfect correlation with temperature, I think
it is either a design flaw (inadequate cooling), or a bad part (graphics
card not working to tollerances).  Clearly software drivers can reduce
the load, but just like with after-market parts for cars, if the
manufacturer doesn't supply free parts (drivers), then they can't
complain about the ones you use.

regards,
Valient Gough
http://www.pobox.com/~vgough/suse-t40p.html

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 10:01, Alexander Gran wrote:

--=-94GQ7dNXeJBHZLEh6XRN

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>
The jitter is just like what I described a week or so ago on this list.&nbsp; For me it only happened when it was warm inside and I made the graphics card really work (like using hardware accelerted 3D).&nbsp; But if the system had warmed up enough, I also saw it when just moving windows around or anytime there were screen redraws happening.<BR>
<BR>
I saw it mostly in 24bpp mode, and rairely in 16bpp mode with XFree 4.3.&nbsp; I figured it was an overheating problem, and when I stop being lazy I will contact IBM about it.<BR>
<BR>
The workarounds I found were:<BR>
1. reduce ambient temperatures<BR>
2. use 16bpp instead of 24bpp<BR>
3. try using other methods of reducing graphics workload (AGP 1 instead of AGP 2, no AGP, etc)<BR>
4. use another X server<BR>
<BR>
I ended up buying a license for AcceleratedX for laptops, which gets great performance and yet seems to run the graphics card at a much lower temperature (no accident - they claim to have good power management for the graphics card).&nbsp; The other day it was nearly 90 degrees in here (lack of air conditioning is common in the northwest because it is rairely needed) and I saw the jitter playing FooBilliards (full screen 3d pool game) under AcceleratedX - the first time since switching X servers.&nbsp; So I refrained from using OpenGL that day and it didn't happen again..<BR>
<BR>
Since there seems to be a perfect correlation with temperature, I think it is either a design flaw (inadequate cooling), or a bad part (graphics card not working to tollerances).&nbsp; Clearly software drivers can reduce the load, but just like with after-market parts for cars, if the manufacturer doesn't supply free parts (drivers), then they can't complain about the ones you use.<BR>
<BR>
regards,<BR>
Valient Gough<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.pobox.com/~vgough/suse-t40p.html">http://www.pobox.com/~vgough/suse-t40p.html</A><BR>