[ltp] radeon OpenGL

Alexander Gran linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:30:56 +0200

Am Dienstag, 24. Juni 2003 20:40 schrieb Valient Gough:
> The jitter is just like what I described a week or so ago on this list.
> For me it only happened when it was warm inside and I made the graphics
> card really work (like using hardware accelerted 3D).  But if the system
> had warmed up enough, I also saw it when just moving windows around or
> anytime there were screen redraws happening.

I had an onepgl screensaver running befor the jitter happend, so I might ha=
ve=20
the same problem.

> I saw it mostly in 24bpp mode, and rairely in 16bpp mode with XFree
> 4.3.  I figured it was an overheating problem, and when I stop being
> lazy I will contact IBM about it.

great ;) Please write me or better the list about their response.

> The workarounds I found were:
> 1. reduce ambient temperatures

ok, I gonna call Petrus ;)

I'm already at 16..hm

> 3. try using other methods of reducing graphics workload (AGP 1 instead
> of AGP 2, no AGP, etc)

Ohh, I'm using 4x now.

> 4. use another X server

> I ended up buying a license for AcceleratedX for laptops, which gets
> great performance and yet seems to run the graphics card at a much lower
> temperature (no accident - they claim to have good power management for
> the graphics card).  The other day it was nearly 90 degrees in here
> (lack of air conditioning is common in the northwest because it is
> rairely needed) and I saw the jitter playing FooBilliards (full screen
> 3d pool game) under AcceleratedX - the first time since switching X
> servers.  So I refrained from using OpenGL that day and it didn't happen
> again..

Ahh. No aircondition here too. But I'd rather learn more C and hack Xfree t=
han=20
byuing an other server...

> Since there seems to be a perfect correlation with temperature, I think
> it is either a design flaw (inadequate cooling), or a bad part (graphics
> card not working to tollerances).  Clearly software drivers can reduce
> the load, but just like with after-market parts for cars, if the
> manufacturer doesn't supply free parts (drivers), then they can't
> complain about the ones you use.

Hmm. According to kernel docu some systems *need* software support o stay=20
alive under high load..

Thanks,
Alex

=2D --=20
Some operating systems are called `user friendly',
	Linux however is `expert friendly'.
Encrypted Mails welcome. Send spam to toZodiac@gmx.net, please.
PGP-Key at http://zodiac.dnsalias.org/misc/pgpkey.asc | Key-ID: 0x6D7DD291