[ltp] Install boot failure.

cage47@vonl.com linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 02:05:41 -0500

I know for my 760el, the cd is non-bootable=2E I tried to get Debian loade=
on it (but my hd was too small for my needs) but I used the floppy install=

for the base and once that was installed the cd's were fine for the rest o=
the install=2E But redhat/mandrake won't boot from the cd because of the
non-bootable cd issue=2E Don't know if either have floppy load options=2E =
Don't
use Mandy anymore=2E The cd/dvd will mount/work fine once installed but
getting the initial install to go is the trick=2E But there's nothing wron=
with your cd=2E

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Vince Thompson VThompson@SomeoneKnows=2Ecom
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:04:23 -0600
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad=2Eorg
Subject: [ltp] Install boot failure=2E

I dug my Thinkpad 770 out of the closet, changed the CMOS battery and
ordered a replacement display to try and get it running again=2E It has
Windows NT4 loaded on it but I want to rebuild it using Linux=2E=20

I'm getting a boot failed message when I try installing Red Hat=2E This is=

happening on the first screen of the installation=2E After pressing enter =
for
the text installation method, it shows the following responses:
> boot:
> Boot failed: please change disks and press a key to continue=2E

I double checked and have Operating System CD1 (CD 1 of 2) in the CD drive=
=2E
I have the Red Hat 7=2E2 Professional Boxed Set and used it to load Linux =
on
a HP desktop computer a couple of days ago, it worked without any problem
then=2E=20

Anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be?=20
- The computer is a Type 9548-32U with a DVD drive=2E It has 32 MB RAM mem=
ory=2E
- Since the display comes up using the DVD drive showing the install scree=
I assumed it should work for the installation also=2E Could the DVD drive =
be
part of the problem?=20
- I am using an external monitor until my replacement display arrives but =
don't think this would be a problem until the installation gets that far
along=2E=20
- The computer is getting the blue screen of death when it tries to boot
under WindowsNT=2E Could this be an indication of the hard drive causing a=

problem? I am going to try and reformat the disk next to see if that makes=

any difference=2E

Thanks for any help=2E

http://mail2web=2Ecom/ =2E