[ltp] Strange intermittent problem with T23, RH 8.0--best way to sleep?

julian underwood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
15 Mar 2003 09:47:30 -0500

	Hello list... I have a strange problem with my T23 which is running
Redhat 8.0, I have run all updates except Kernel updates.  What happens
is the following.  I travel to and from work with my machine, and I put
it to sleep using the command apm -s.  Then I open the lid to wake up
the unit when I return home.  I would say one out of 20 times when I
wake my unit up, the mouse pointer disappears and the unit appears to be
frozen.  But it's not, because I can alt-tab from window to window (I
can see the outline of each window change when I press that keystroke.)
Also I can see the mouse pointer again--and move it--if I hold the alt
key down--however I can't click on anything.

	What I end up doing is hitting alt-esc (I don't know if this does
anything in linux) and then press ctrl-alt-del a few times, and finally
x-windows quits out and I get the login prompt again-- I can then login
as root and restart or shutdown the machine.

	It's kind of annoying; my question is has anyone else had this happen
to them, and is there an easy way to save myself, and possibly my work
if this happens?

Thanks,

JU