[ltp] TCPA on Thinkpads

Gerard van Winssen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:36:36 +0100

I've read A bit about this issue, and from what I understand of it I don't
like it at all as A linux user.

Now I've noticed that many Thinkpads made after May 2002 have this "security"
spy chip, AKA IBM security chip..
My R31 too, I saw it in the bios settings.
Some text from the IBM website:

<<
Select ThinkPad and NetVista clients feature the IBM Embedded Security
Subsystem and the new TCPA-compliant IBM Embedded Security Subsytem 2.0. The
subsystem consists of an integrated security chip and IBM Client Security
Software, which the customer must download after receiving the client to
ensure only authorized parties have knowledge of customer security
components.

Only IBM offers the most secure industry-standard PC to provide more secure
local file and folder encryption, wired and wireless communications, and user
authentication to control system and network access.

Can someone tell me what this "security" shit means for us linux-on-Thinkpad
users?
I rather get rid of the Thinkpad when someone can spy on me. :-(
--
Gerard van Winssen

Toe aan een nieuwe monitor?

---->[X]<--------------- Sla hier dan een spijker in.