[ltp] TCPA on Thinkpads

Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:30:03 +0100

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 10:36:36 +0100, Gerard van Winssen wrote:
> I've read A bit about this issue, and from what I understand of it I don't
> like it at all as A linux user.
>
> Now I've noticed that many Thinkpads made after May 2002 have this
> "security" spy chip, AKA IBM security chip.. My R31 too, I saw it in
> the bios settings. Some text from the IBM website:
>
> << Select ThinkPad and NetVista clients feature the IBM Embedded
> Security Subsystem and the new TCPA-compliant IBM Embedded Security
> Subsytem 2.0. The subsystem consists of an integrated security chip
> and IBM Client Security Software, which the customer must download
> after receiving the client to ensure only authorized parties have
> knowledge of customer security components.
>
> Only IBM offers the most secure industry-standard PC to provide more
> secure local file and folder encryption, wired and wireless
> communications, and user authentication to control system and network
> access.
> >>

> Can someone tell me what this "security" shit means for us
> linux-on-Thinkpad users? I rather get rid of the Thinkpad when
> someone can spy on me. :-(

I read something about this in a german magazine. I seems to consist of
a container for asymmetric keys and hardware accelerated en/decryption,
so there are no "spy features" or something like this. I will look into
the artice again when you need more information.

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG