[ltp] T40 / Pentium M and Linux

Steve Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 05:52:22 -0500

Rune Froysa wrote:
> Finally, IBM should be flamed for not allowing us to buy ThinkPads
> without a pre-installed OS.

Can you imagine the support calls?
"I'm having a problem with my ThinkPad model mumblemumble."
"Did you install an OS?"
"Yes."
"I'm sorry sir, that's not a supported configuration."

>  If my work hadn't paid for it, I would have selected a model
 > from the only suplyer in this country that sells laptops
 > whitout a pre-installed OS.

Whatever.  Don't forget a lot of us use Linux because it
better meets our needs, not because of some "political"
stance.

 From the MS trial it came out that it was cheaper (or required)
that a manufacturer ship windows with each PC sold because of
the contract terms.

For a time IBM did sell ThinkPads with Linux installed, but
unlike with servers, I guess not enough people bought them
for IBM to justify the additional testing, documentation,
support, etc. expense.  If you want to flame anyone, try
the Linux community.

I work for IBM, but I do not speak for IBM.  These opinions
and conjectures are my own.

Steve
--
http://www.stevebarr.com