[ltp] T40 / Pentium M and Linux

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:32:16 -0500

On Thursday 27 March 2003 05:52 am, Steve Barr wrote:
> Rune Froysa wrote:
> > Finally, IBM should be flamed for not allowing us to buy ThinkPads
> > without a pre-installed OS.
>
> Can you imagine the support calls?
> "I'm having a problem with my ThinkPad model mumblemumble."
> "Did you install an OS?"
> "Yes."
> "I'm sorry sir, that's not a supported configuration."

And that is different from:

"I'm having a problem with my ThinkPad model xyz"
"Does Windows start?"
"I don't run windows"
"Sorry, thats not a supported configuration."

In other words, only Linux people would buy a 'bare' Thinkpad, and it can=
not=20
possibly create any more service questions than the very same laptop with=
=20
Linux installed OVER THE TOP OF Windows. The entire assertion is=20
preposterous. The only reason IBM won't sell you a "no-OS" Thinkpad is=20
because they're rightly scared that Microshaft will hose them some way or=
=20
other for it.

I agree that there are 'non-political' reasons for running Linux, or I=20
wouldn't bother, but there is one big fat reason for not buying an OS you=
=20
have no use for, its just a waste of several hundred bucks.

Honestly, why not employ the same reasoning with MS Office and just make=20
everyone buy a copy of that as well? Basically EVERYBODY uses some type o=
f=20
office applications, it would sure serve IBM's interests to have it alway=
s be=20
the same exact one.

I am really happy with the Thinkpads I've owned, but I never bought one n=
ew. I=20
would absolutely not do so if it came with MS Windows if I can get some o=
ther=20
hardware without that.=20
--=20
Tod G. Harter