Windows tax (Re: [ltp] T40 / Pentium M and Linux)

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:31:52 -0500

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:32:16 -0500
Tod Harter <tharter@giantelectronicbrain.com> wrote:

> I agree that there are 'non-political' reasons for running Linux, or I
> wouldn't bother, but there is one big fat reason for not buying an OS
> you have no use for, its just a waste of several hundred bucks.

And for some of us, the couple of hundred bucks (even if it's just *one*
hundred bucks per machine) is very significant.  Education budgets are
tight these days, and I don't want to waste any of my money buying
ANYTHING I'm not going to use.  Windows, MS Office, whatever.

> I am really happy with the Thinkpads I've owned, but I never bought one
> new. I would absolutely not do so if it came with MS Windows if I can
> get some other hardware without that.

I've never been able to afford a new one (*ahem* education budgets
*ahem*).  The only thing I really dislike about my newest used Thinkpad is
simply that it's too darned heavy.  The 770Z isn't exactly the lightest
laptop on the block - though the used price was EXCELLENT. The subnotebook
that Lindows is peddling (sans MS-tax) is looking pretty attractive right
now.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  College Chemistry website: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/