[ltp] PNPBIOS success! (was: oops at bootup)

Ken Restivo linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 6 May 2003 10:41:31 -0700

Worked like a champ! Thanks! After 3 months of suffering with a hobbled 600E-2645-4AU, now my  serial port works, my parallel port works, and even irda works. And it's stopped locking up at random intervals whenever parport_pc was loaded. Plus, the audio has stopped chop-chop-chop-chopping. Yay!

setpnp didn't have any effect, but setpnp -b worked.

Although I'm still puzzled by a few things.

First of all, I'm confused about what tpctl does that's different from what setpnp does? I'm not sure why tcpctl was pretty much useless for setting up these hardware resources, but setpnp -b worked perfectly?

Secondly, I've still got strange IRQ problems. IRQ 11 is used by uhci and i82365. In /etc/pcmcia/config.opts, I've excluded irq's 3,4,5,7,11. However, my orinoco_cs insists on binding to irq 11, and *insists* that it is [exclusive]. Exclusive?  Then, orinoco_cs complains about lots of "null interrupts". Well, of course, it's it's sitting on an irq line that's used by tons of other things! IRQ's 10 and 9 seem to be wide-open: nobody's using them AFAICT, but pcmcia cards won't go near them.

Forcing modprobe orinoco_cs irq_list=10 didn't help; it still insisted on using irq 11. It's addicted to the thing; they're in love, and I can't keep them apart.

And, yes, I've "setpnp 12 irq off irq off" (IBM3765 is an audio controller? I thought it was an FEP for an S/390!) so as to free up all the interrupts it was hogging. Whatever that 3765 was doing, it doesn't seem important to audio: sound output works better without it.

Any suggestions?

- -ken
- ------