[ltp] T30 w/ DVI and external Flat Panel 1600x1200@60Hz

Michael B Allen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 6 May 2003 22:27:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I have a T30 with a Radeon Mobility M7 which I believe is also known as
the Mobility 7000 IGP. I would like to use the DVI out on the Port
Replicator II I just purchased to drive a Dell 2000FP 20" flat panel
display.

However, alas it does not work out of the box. I used a modeline that
successfully drives the display from Radeon PCI card in a regular
workstation but the resolution on the T30 was demoted to a smaller
resolution resulting in corrupted display. I think I need to upgrade
XFree86. Currently I'm running 4.2.0.

But I have what seems to be a more important problem. Hitting Fn+F7 does
not work as expected. Once I have switched to the external DVI output I
cannot switch back without rebooting the machine.

So my question is, has anyone had success with this arrangement or similar
and can you share your experiences with me?

Also do you have a good strategy for switching between the higher
resolution of the external display and the 1400x1040 of the builtin LCD?
I'm hoping XFree86 will detect the change in monitor and use the
appropriate modeline to match. Ultimately the best possible scenario would
be to just dock it and hit Fn+F7. Anyone get that to work?

Thanks,
Mike