[ltp] TP 600e and RH9 - X Hangs

Huntress Gary B NPRI linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 01 Nov 2003 11:09:07 -0500

Hi,

I've recently upgraded from RH 8 to 9.  Everything went fine and as far as I can tell, everything works albeit more slowly.

However, I do experience seemingly random lockups in X.  The mouse freezes and if I do a ctrl-alt-bksp to quit X it tries to close applications but eventually freezes without being able to exit or even redraw the screen.

I've been told that this may be a known issue with using an external PS/2 mouse (my TP trackpoint is broken).   Has anyone else experienced this?

The only solutions that I've seen proposed were to switch to a serial mouse which I cannot do.

Regards,

Gary

PS  On a side note, I have considered replacing the keyboard in order to get a pointer that works.   I've used the PDF from IBM to try and disassemble the case and I've taken out every screw they indicate but I'll be darned if I can get the cover off.  Has anyone else disassembled their TP?   Once the screws are out is there some sort of a release that has to be depressed to make the top bezel pop off??   Thx!