[ltp] More Sound Problems on Thinkpad 770z with Linux mdk| Problem with APM (still a newbie)

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 10:47:45 -0500

On Friday 31 October 2003 6:50 pm, James P. K. Gilb wrote:
> I hadn't thought of that, I have been doing su <passwd> apm -s for
> suspend for some time (becuase as a user I didn't have permissions.)  I
> did the chmod above and it works!  Hey, I answered a question and solved
> one of my own problems.
>
> BTW: Adding setuid to programs can be a dangerous thing, so use it
> sparingly.

sudo might be a more secure way of accomplishing the same thing if you don't
mind typing your password. Actually I believe you can even set up sudo so it
doesn't ask for ANY password. Not a secure configuration for most machines,
but on a laptop probably not a problem.

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain