[ltp] Re: redhat 9 install fails on thinkpad a22p

Crawford Rainwater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
01 Nov 2003 15:51:06 -0700

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 04:01, linux-thinkpad-request@linux-thinkpad.org
wrote:
> From: Neil Gorsuch <ngorsuch@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
> To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
> Date: 31 Oct 2003 22:41:53 -0600
> Subject: [ltp] redhat 9 install fails on thinkpad a22p
>
> Has anyone else seen this? Using either floppy, netboot, cdrom
> netinstall, or full cd install, with redhat 9, after the kernel starts
> to boot, after a message something like this: "starting /sbin/loader",
> the screen goes blank and the system is frozen until a power cycle.
> redhat 8.0 and suse install fine on the same machine. Any ideas?

A couple of thoughts to try.

- Try just doing the CD upgrade from RH 8 to 9 instead of a full
install.
- See if the CD kernel is version 2.4.20-6 or 2.4.20-8 (there were two
initial RH 9 kernels, just depends on when you picked up the CD ISO I am
told).
- Install apt with RH 8, change the settings in the
/etc/apt/sources.list file to point to RH 9 and run an apt-get
dist-upgrade.
- Try instead of doing a full install, do a partial, minimal install
with the CDs, even without the GUI.

Just warning as well with the recent RH 2.4.20 kernels, they added in
the kernel that turns on the lm_sensors which you can see the warning on
the Linux ThinkPad website for more details.  A chkconfig --list will
show it as well if you can get to a root prompt.

HTH.

--- Crawford