[ltp] can't access DVDs with xine

Tue, 04 Nov 2003 13:17:25 +0100

Hi,

there was a similar topic recently but the information i got from this
didn't help me, so I have to raise this again...

I recently got a DVD drive for my T23, which works fine unter Xp, but -
guess what - doesn't under linux.

The only player I have installed is xine (and totem but it relies on
xine).

When I try to access a dvd with xine it gives
me an error that "the source can't be read".
And another alert window says "Input plugin failed to open MRL 'dvd:/'".

More verbose output on the command line states:

libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 1-rc0a from http://xine.sf.net
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdnav: Can't seek to block 32
libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/andre/.dvdnav/.map'
libdvdread: Can't seek to block 256
libdvdread: Can't seek to block 256
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdnav: vm: faild to read VIDEO_TS.IFO

I have no dvd related entry in /etc/fstab.

There's a symlink /dev/dvd -> /dev/hdc with
/dev/hdc definitely being the dvd drive.

Permissions on /dev/hdc are brw-rw---- and it belongs to root.disk . My
user is in the disk group and xine is running with the users id,
checked all that.

Might the DVD be encrypted? What do I need then?

Or am I having another problem?

Andre.