[ltp] Hibernation

Ramon Casellas linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:14:45 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Joan Roig Amor=F3s wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using Debian in a T40 for a while now (thanks to the people t=
hat
> post how-to's in different web sites, and thanks to Knoppix!), and I am
> really happy with it both at work and at home. There are a couple of thin=
gs
> that bother me, though. The first one is the lack of hibernation support:=
 is
> there a way to hibernate the system? (I have no problem going into standb=
y,
> but I guess that's a different thing) anyone tried the IBM hibernation
> utility? (but I am not sure that is for Linux...). I *really* miss
> hibernation...

Hi Joan,

With 2.4.X kernels, you have basically two options:
- Using ACPI or APM, you can use software suspend (swsusp.sf.net) which
looks quite stable (version 2.0). I'm not sure if the swsusp patch applies
cleanly to your kernel dough, so maybe some manual tweaking is necessary.

- Using APM, you may use the Phoenix BIOS to hibernate. You just need a
specially crafted file in a FAT partition, and that's it. There are some
web pages that explain how to do this, but in simple terms, you use
tphdisk.c to create the file. I think (IIRC) that it is not even required
that the partition be a primary one, and you need the file =3D RAM + Video
MEM + some safe margin.

http://samba.anu.edu.au/junkcode/#tphdisk

With 2.6.0 there is no reliable and stable way to suspend/hibernate (yet!)
there are some broken modules (agpgart, sometimes Usb, you mileage may
vary).

Best regards/Sinceres Salutacions,

Ramon