[ltp] Hibernation

Heiko Rosemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 23:27:21 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Ramon Casellas wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Joan Roig Amor=F3s wrote:
>
> [hibernation on T40]
>
> - Using APM, you may use the Phoenix BIOS to hibernate. You just need a
> specially crafted file in a FAT partition, and that's it. There are some
> web pages that explain how to do this, but in simple terms, you use
> tphdisk.c to create the file. I think (IIRC) that it is not even required
> that the partition be a primary one, and you need the file =3D RAM + Vide=
> MEM + some safe margin.

It does not have to be a primary partition - hda7 works fine for me, hidden
FAT 16. File is 280MB, with 256MB RAM and shared vga on my X30. So make a
partition, format it using mkdosfs, mount it and call tphdisk 280 >
save2dsk.bin. You should be done, except for some still not fully featured
drivers - such as the airo_mpi for Cisco Wireless by Fabrice Bellet. See th=
other thread for more information.

(You won't even have to create the partition if you already have a FAT one =
-
don't know about FAT16/FAT32-issues, though.)

HTH, Heiko