[ltp] Dual monitor setup: T40p+XFree-4.3.0

Steve K linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:04:11 -0800

Hi Diego!

Thanks for the info -- I've been waiting for this feature to be
available for a while now.  I'm trying to set it up on my Thinkpad t40p
with Debian unstable and xfree86 4.3.0.1 (from the Debian experimental
area, reports itself as XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (Debian 4.3.0-0pre1v4
20031024231956 aigarius@namatevs.lv).

I followed your instructions -- I downloaded the latest drivers
(radeon-20031106-linux.i386.tar.bz2), installed them, and then overwrote
  the two drivers with the mergedfb binaries.  I also used your XFree86
config file.  However, when I try to startx with the setup, it hangs my
laptop on a blank screen.

Could it be that the radeon dripkg package is too new for the binary
drivers downloaded from botchco.com?

Any tips on how to debug this?  Right now it is a bit tedious since I
have to shut the machine down and reboot every time it hangs.  Do you
think the machine is really hung or is there some key combination I
could use to quit X and try again?

Thanks again for the info -- I hope to have this working soon and put
the extra monitor sitting next to me to use!!

cheers,
-steve