[ltp] Fedora installation on T40 and airo_mpi problem

Thu, 6 Nov 2003 23:04:07 +0000 (GMT)

I reported a few days ago on installing RHEL: just trying the newly
released Fedora Core 1 today on my T40, and it seems to install ok.
The standard kernel is 2.4.22, and comes with speedstep and
laptop-mode - laptop-mode is automatically enabled on battery power.
Looks like to enable speedstep (cat /proc/cpufreq) you need to
modprobe speedstep-centrino.  It's nice to have these in a standard,
shipped kernel.

I'm however having trouble with the onboard Cisco wireless.
As before, I've followed Fabrice Bellet's helpful instructions on
installing the driver for the Cisco Aironet 3500 card at:

http://bellet.info/~bellet/laptop/airo_mpi.HOWTO.txt

and used them with the latest(?) 20031023 tarball.  There was an
error in compilation:

airo_mpi.c:258: error: redefinition of `PDE' /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/proc_fs.h:17:
error: `PDE' previously defined here

I'm not a programmer so my solution to this was to comment out the
corresponding portion of code :)  Was it the correct thing to do?
Also, had to "depmod -a" before modprobing: you might want to add
this to the notes...

Anyway, having done this, the card flashes in Managed mode, and I
thought I was getting a connection, but it turns out I was connected
to next door's WEP-less access point!  When I try and connect to my
own Ad-Hoc network with a WEP password, it just won't work whatever I
do.  When you set Ad-Hoc mode, the little wireless light doesn't even
flash; Managed and Auto do.  I can't tell if it not working is
because of Ad-Hoc or because of WEP: any clues?

I should add that earlier versions of Fabrice's airo_mpi driver work
fine in Red Hat Linux 9, kernel 2.4.20 and .21.

Other than this, I can report that with the T40 graphics card, the
Mobility Radeon 9000, 3D looks enabled (tuxracer works ok :) ) and
suspend/resume works fine.  Hibernation freezes on resume, as before
but I assume this is the DRI thing I need to fix.