[ltp] Cisco Wireless again

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 07 Nov 2003 11:04:25 -0500

No firewall.  I haven't run iptables on the system at all, and
everything outside the system is fine, since I can get an IP fine if I
run bcard.  I would just prefer to use iwconfig.

I've discovered a bit more that may help.  When I run bcard, hotplug is
called.  I don't have a great understanding of how the kernel handles
hotplugging.  I read through all the hotplug scripts last night, but I
don't know how the kernel decides when to call it.  When I run bcard,
apparently the net.agent is called and my rc.inet1 is called to get an
IP for the wireless card.  Once that is done, there is a process called
[eth1] that I can't kill and I can't remove the airo_mpi module.  I'm
guessing this is a result of hotplug, but I don't understand what this
process is and why i can't kill it or remove the module.  I also don't
know why bcard caused hotplug to run, while nothing I do with iwconfig
seems to have that effect.

Any ideas?  I'd really like to not have to use cisco's tools.

Joel