[ltp] Fedora installation on T40 and airo_mpi problem

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 18:16:35 +0100

Hi Honey,

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 11:04:07PM +0000, honey@gneek.com wrote:
> I'm however having trouble with the onboard Cisco wireless.
> As before, I've followed Fabrice Bellet's helpful instructions on
> installing the driver for the Cisco Aironet 3500 card at:
>
> http://bellet.info/~bellet/laptop/airo_mpi.HOWTO.txt
>
> and used them with the latest(?) 20031023 tarball.  There was an
> error in compilation:
>
> airo_mpi.c:258: error: redefinition of `PDE' /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/build/include/linux/proc_fs.h:17:
> error: `PDE' previously defined here

Yep, the conditionnal LINUX_VERSION_CODE < 0x020500 surrounding this
declaration doesn't apply to this Fedora kernel. I fixed it, thanks.

Moreover, Peter Johanson fixed the Makefile for kernel 2.6 too in
http://bellet.info/~bellet/laptop/airo_mpi-20031108.tar.gz

> Anyway, having done this, the card flashes in Managed mode, and I
> thought I was getting a connection, but it turns out I was connected
> to next door's WEP-less access point!  When I try and connect to my
> own Ad-Hoc network with a WEP password, it just won't work whatever I
> do.  When you set Ad-Hoc mode, the little wireless light doesn't even
> flash; Managed and Auto do.  I can't tell if it not working is
> because of Ad-Hoc or because of WEP: any clues?

This problem has already been reported. That's on my task list :-)

Best wishes,
--
fabrice