[ltp] T41 success?

Peter Theunis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:31:53 -0800

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/products/story/0,24330,3554417,00.html

quote:
"
Which brings us back to the Hard Drive Active Protection System IBM added to the new T41 notebook. A motherboard-mounted accelerometer monitors the movement of the ThinkPad. If it detects motion (a sudden fall, for example), it parks the head in a safe section of the hard drive.

The accelerometer requires an applet running in the OS (as of our review, IBM only had a Windows XP version of the applet) that turns the active protection system on and off. The applet also includes an option to ignore small repetitive shocks "such as those experienced when in a train or automobile." It's a hoot to watch: Click the Real-time Status tab to see a tiny 3-D rendering of ThinkPad mirroring every movement the real one makes in your hands. (So the accelerometer works.) The applet can also lock out anyone but administrators from turning the protection system off.
"